Take pride in your ink!
After choosing your tattoo design and getting the ink done at a studio, tattoo aftercare is by far most important aspect of your tattoo journey.
Post tattoo care should not be taken lightly-you need to know how to take care of a tattoo as best as possible.
This huge all-encompassing tattoo care instructions guide will walk you through every single stage of your tattoo journey and tells you what to do, and what not to do in order to help keep your tattoo looking perfect.
Tattoo aftercare steps
- Leave your bandage/wrap on until told by your artist: while some artists may ask you to leave your bandage on for only an hour, others may ask you to keep it on for a whole day. Your artist knows which length of time is best for you and your tattoo, so ensure you listen to their advice.
- Wash your tattoo well after removing the bandage/wrap: wash your tattoo thoroughly (but carefully) using warm water and a fragrance-free soap to remove any excess/dried blood and plasma.
- Air dry after cleaning it: let your tattoo air dry – do not pat or rub your tattoo to dry it off.
- Apply a small amount of healing product (aquaphor): after cleaning your tattoo, ensure the area is completely dry before appl ying a very thin layer of your chosen aftercare product to help moisturize and nourish the area. After a few days you may be ready to switch from the healing product to lotion.
- Wash your tattoo regularly: continue to use a fragrance-free soap and lukewarm water to clean your tattoo at least twice a day.
- Repeat the cleaning process until the tattoo is fully healed: remember that your tattoo isn’t completely safe from germs and bacteria until it has completely finished scabbing and peeling. Continue to wash the tattoo until this point (usually 2-4 weeks).
- Don’t pick and pull at the flaking/scabbing skin: picking away at your healing tattoo can delay healing, cause fading, and increase the chances of infection. When
- Stay away from the sun: don’t expose your new tattoo to intense sunlight and don’t apply any sun lotion to the area until it has fully healed.
- Stay away from water: all bodies of water can contain nasty bacteria that can ruin a new tattoo if you’re not careful. Stick to short showers until your skin has fully healed, and don’t go swimming.
- Continue to look after your tattoo once healed: once healed, keep your tattoo well protected from the sun and ensure you continue to moisturize the area regularly. Healthy skin means a healthy looking tattoo.